I am SO excited to be doing your upcoming boudoir session with you! I am sure you have a few questions… how do I prep for the shoot? What should I bring? What do I WEAR?! Well don’t stress, I’ve put together this prep guide and fashion tips to help guide you through all of this. Above everything else, just remember to have FUN! These sessions are all about celebrating you, and your beauty! And I promise you will leave your session feeling beautiful, confident, and so excited for the end results.
First – check out Pinterest for endless inspiration. You will learn how other women have embraced their femininity, beauty and innate sexiness before the camera. Create your own Pinterest board and start pinning your ideas – and feel free to share with me so that I can get a feel for the vibe you’re going for.
One of the most common questions I get before a boudoir shoot is how do you prep? Here is a little timeline I’ve put together to help you will any pre-shoot planning.
Five Days Before Your Shoot…
- If you wax, do so a few days before your shoot to avoid any bumpiness or redness.
- Make sure your eyebrows are nicely shaped and groomed.
- If you’re planning to visit the salon for a haircut or color, then give yourself a few days to make sure you are happy with it.
- Be sure to get a salon manicure and pedicure for a flawless finish.
- Stay out of the sun – while a base tan will be nice in photos, red, blotchy skin will not.
- PLEASE – DO NOT SPRAY TAN. Your creamy, natural skin tone photographs best!
- Drink plenty of water for luminous skin.
- Lower your salt intake and avoid alcohol if you’re worried about retaining water.
- Try on your outfits and lingerie to make sure they fit properly; remove all tags and labels. Steam or iron your ensembles and hang them properly so they keep their shape as you travel to the studio.
The Day Before Your Shoot…
- Bathe, shave and moisturize.
- Remove ALL price tags, size & care labels, etc. from clothing, especially from lingerie and panties. They can ruin otherwise great photographs.
- Double-check everything is properly packed and ready for the shoot: heels, jewelry, accessories, props.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to get to the location without stressing. Check weather and traffic reports to ensure you have allotted enough time for unexpected delays.
- Enjoy a relaxed, quiet evening. Don’t stress! This will be SO fun!
- Get some good sleep!
The Day of Your Shoot…
- Use clear deodorant please.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to your session to avoid red marks on your skin (no jeans, tight socks or tight clothing, for instance).
- Eat something light but filling before you leave the house.
- Arrive to your Hair & Make up appointment with a clean and moisturized face and CLEAN HAIR (important!).
- Have your final Wolf Photography Session payment ready via PayPal or cash.
- Most important: Take a deep breath and RELAX. It’s completely normal to be little nervous before your shoot, but please don’t worry because you will be in very good hands. I will show you exactly how to pose and work with you to get the perfect shot.
Another very common question I get asked is, what should I wear?! This is the fun part. You’re outfits are a great way to let your personality shine through. I think sometime ladies stress too much about what “he” will like. When really, you should be much more concerned about how an outfit makes YOU feel! Trust me, he will think you are beautiful no matter what you are wearing. Wear outfits and sets that make YOU feel comfortable, sexy, and beautiful!
There are so many fun Lingerie options. Things like corsets, thigh high stockings, and sky high heels can give you a sexy edge. While soft and flowy detailed sets like teddies, vintage slips, and babydolls give you a soft and romantic look.
FLATTER YOUR BODY!
Boudoir sessions are for everyone! We can celebrate and flatter ALL curves, big or small! I’ve had sessions with beautiful women of all ages, shapes and sizes. We all know that not everybody has a supermodel body. I promise through smart styling, and flattering poses, anyone can have a successful and beautiful boudoir session. For Mom’s who may have some post baby tummies, or stretch marks may want to try some high waisted panties and matching bra, or lingerie sets that have a long, flowy top like teddies or babydolls to help camouflage anything your uncomfortable with.
If you are a curvy girl try sets with some rouching, or rock a gorgeous body suit or leotard to show off your curves!!
For our slim and petite clients, who would like to create some curves, a corset will be your best friend! Also look for lingerie sets that have some ruffles, or other attention grabbing details along neckline to help add some volume to the bust. High necked looks are stunning and draw attention up right where we want it, your beautiful face!
Photoshop can help remove any small imperfections like a pimple, small bruises or scars. But if you’re uncomfortable showing any large imperfections such as large birthmarks, stretch marks, or tan lines you will want to make sure your outfit choices cover those things. Refrain from any sports or activities where you may get hurt and bruise prior to your session.
I would plan on bringing 3 different outfit options to your session. I always suggest something classic and black for one look! A gorgeous, black set is always a smart idea and is flattering on every body. Another great option is to so something in a soft color. The camera loves blush tones, soft blues, pastels and creamy whites. This will add a romantic feeling and sophistication to your look. For your third outfit, I always suggest doing a wildcard outfit! Something in a bold color, or a set with a really fun details would be perfect. Or even think about incorporating a prop or clothing item of one of his favorite hobbies. Jerseys, his favorite button down shirt, his guitar, or tools of his trade would be a fun way to spice up the session!
Lastly, bring your very favorite pair of panties! Something with a fun detail like a bow, or lacy design are perfect for doing any suggestive topless poses. We will often do poses that “imply” that you are topless using your arms, hair, curtains, or blankets to cover for modesty. Or topless poses where your back is to the camera. So a great pair of panties are perfect for this!
Definitely bring your favorite pair of sky high heels! Black is always a great option since it will match with pretty much anything. Garter belts, thigh high stockings, or a pretty hair accessory can add so much fun to a photo. If you are wanting to do jewelry, I always suggest doing a bold, statement piece. Dainty, small jewerly does not really show up on camera. Try a big, blingy bracelet, or a bold statement necklace. Long, layered necklaces or pearls are also a great option. You will be in poses laying down for a lot of your session. So dangly earrings or flimsy necklaces often do not work, since they do not stay in place. Opt for a sturdy, statement necklace, and some beautiful stud style earrings instead! Fresh flowers, bouquets, or floral crowns are also a great accessory idea!! They always look stunning on camera.
HAIR AND MAKE-UP, GO PRO!
One thing I find is so important to a successful boudoir session is beautiful Hair and Make-up styling. It really, truly is worth it to go with a pro! Whether you are letting us take care of you by using my wonderful HMU artist Lisa, or using another pro you already know, good HMU can make or break a boudoir session. Pro’s know just how to apply make up that is flattering not only to you, but also on camera. Things photograph differently than how they look in real life. The pro’s will have you looking perfect for you on camera debut! You’ll definitely want to go a bit more dramatic and bold than you might wear your make-up on a regular day. Things like a bold lip, and beautiful, long false lashes can really add the extra OOMPH factor to your portraits. Plus, think of that wonderful, confident feeling you have after going to the salon to get your hair done. You feel like a new woman! That positive, confident feeling is exactly what you want to be feeling coming to a boudoir session. I can’t stress it enough, GO PRO! (check out my girl Lisa’s HMU page on IG @lisajeppsenmua )
By far, the most important thing you can bring to your shoot is your confidence! Try to not stress, and get ready to have a blast! And please, do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions you may have. I can’t wait to photograph you beautiful ladies!!